Click the dropdown arrow to view either Portland or Nehalem Bay conditions
Click any of the display tabs to toggle the Weather, Wind or Rain information
River Forecast Data
Willamette River near OMSI
River forecast data provided by NOAA (NWS ID #PRTO3)
- Action Stage: 17'
- Flood Stage: 18'
- Moderate Flood Stage: 24'
- Major Flood Stage: 28'
River Velocity data provided by NOAA (Willamette River at Portland)
River temperature data provided by USGS (Willamette River at Morrison Bridge, 14211720)
Nehalem Bay (near Foss)
River forecast data provided by NOAA & USGS (NWS ID #FSS03)
- Action Stage: 13' Flood Stage: 15'
- Moderate Flood Stage: 20'
- Major Flood Stage: 24'
- Mean Flow: 1,800 cfs
- Max Flow: 6,000 cfs (1940)
- Min Flow: 555 cfs (2005)
Live Tide data from WillyWeather.com for the Willamette River at the Morrison Bridge
Live Tide data from WillyWeather.com for the Nehalem Bat at the Jetty Marina
Willamette River, Combined Sewer Overflow (CSO) - Live condition updates
The tracker shows how the City of Portland Willamette River Big Pipes fill during wet weather.
Data provided by the City of Portland Bureau of Environmental Services (BES)
Data is updated every 15 minutes
We paddle through the entire year, rain or shine
However, sometime, the conditions are beyond our control...
Adverse Air Temperature Safety Consideration:
- Air temperature below 40 F is reason to seriously consider cancellation of on-water activity in club owned equipment.
Adverse Wind Speed Safety Considerations:
- At wind speed above 30 miles per hour all on-water activity in club owned equipment is canceled.
- Wind speed above 20 miles per hour is reason to seriously consider cancellation of activity.
Adverse Water Flow or Speed Safety Considerations:
- At a rate of flow at or above 4 feet per second all on-water activity in club owned equipment is canceled.
- A rate of flow at or above 3 feet per second is reason to seriously consider cancellation of activity.
Adverse Water Temperature and Lightning Safety Considerations:
- Water temperature below 40 degrees F is reason to seriously consider cancellation of activity.
- Lightning in the area or on the horizon is reason to cancel activities. No boats should go out for 30 mins after last sighting and, if already on the water, make haste to return to the dock.
Adverse Air Quality Safety Considerations:
- An Air Quality Index above 150, considered unhealthy, is cause for cancellation of activity.
Small Boat, OC1/OC2's Weather Guidelines
Wasabi maintains small boats for use by club members after their completion of OC certification and huli testing. Individuals using small boats are likely to be directly affected by adverse weather conditions including cold air and water temperatures, high wind, and high flow rates. Wasabi has general weather guidelines in place for OC6/12s and dragon boats. Small boat users must abide by those guidelines and additional guidelines listed for OC1/2 use.
Personal Floatation Devices (PFD) Policy Statement
- At all times of the year, regardless of water temperature, all participants using Wasabi owned equipment (paddlers, steerspersons, coaches, callers, guests, etc.) shall wear an approved Coast Guard type I, II, III or V PFD.
- All non-swimmers will wear an inherently buoyant (not hybrid or not belt type) PFD when paddling on club equipment.
- All visually impaired paddlers will wear an inherently buoyant or hybrid (not belt type) PFD when paddling on club equipment.
- All Steerspersons (when steering) will wear an inherently buoyant or hybrid (not belt type) approved PFD.
- All paddlers using an inflatable belt or other inflatable style PFD, regardless of type, will familiarize themselves with instructions for emergency use, prior to wearing PFD in Wasabi boats. Paddlers are encouraged to practice PFD inflation and arming sequences for their particular PFD.
- At race venues this PFD policy is suspended in favor of the prevailing race event PFD policy or requirements.
Overview: Rearming & Repacking an Inflatable PFD
Chase Boat Steers
Dragon Boat Steers
Outrigger Capsize (Huli)
Recovery basics - Ke Kai O'Uhane & PNWORCA
OC1 Capsize (Huli)
Dragon Boat Capsize
Cold Water Imersion Facts
Willamette River Rules for Boat Operation
Hawthorne Bridge Upstream to Willamette Falls
River Rules Safety Video
- Wasabi policy and procedure for reporting incidents and infractions within the Hawthorne Bridge to Waverly Marina pass through zone.